Election FAQ: Get Ready to Vote Tuesday
A round-up of things you need to know for Tuesday's general election.
The annual November election is Tuesday, and there is plenty you need to know to get you ready to head to the polls. Below is a primer on the things you need to know to get ready for Tuesday.
When are polls open on Tuesday?
Polls are open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
What races are up for a vote?
There are two seats open on the Township Committee and four candidates are running:
Three candidates are running for Essex County executive:
- Joseph N. DiVincenzo Jr. (D, Incumbent)
- Marilynn M English (Independent)
- Herbert Glenn (R)
Two candidates are running for Essex County clerk:
- Christopher J. Durkin (D, Incumbent)
- Marcella A. Wilson (R)
There also are two Congressional races, mattering what district in which you live.
In District 10, there are four candidates:
- Michael Alonso (R)
- Joanne Miller (Independent)
- Donald Payne (D, Incumbent)
- Robert Louis Toussaint (Independent)
In District 11, there are three candidates:
- Rodney Frelinghuysen (R, Incumbent)
- Jim Gawron (L)
- Douglas Herbert (D)
Where do I vote?
Voters should have gotten a letter telling them where to vote on Tuesday. Here is a list of Millburn-Short Hills polling places:
- Districts 1, 7, 10—Casa Colombo, 189 Main St.
- Districts 2, 6—Millburn Public Library, 200 Glen Ave.
- Districts 3, 9—Glenwood Elementary School, 325 Taylor Road South
- Districts 4, 13—Gero Park Recreation Center, 335 White Oak Ridge Road
- Districts 5, 12, 16—Deerfield Elementary School, Troy Lane
- Districts 8, 11, 14, 15—Community Congregational Church (fellowship hall), 200 Hartshorn Drive
What if I'm not sure where to vote?
You can search for your polling place on the state Division of Elections website. Click here for the search page.
What if I can't make it to the polls on Tuesday?
You have until 3 p.m. on Monday to apply for a Vote by Mail application. You can do it at the Essex County Clerk's main office at 465 Martin Luther King Blvd. in Newark or at the satellite office at Codey Arena in West Orange.
Where can I find results of the election?
The county clerk's website will have the results posted. We also will have results here at Millburn-Short Hills Patch.
I missed the Township Committee debate. Can I still watch it?