With spring comes spring sports season and Essex County's Patch readers have weighed in on their favorite places to buy their gear.
There's no shortage of stores where an athlete can buy baseball bats, lacrosse sticks, soccer balls, football jerseys, tennis rackets and swimsuits.
Here are a few of your favorites:
- In Montclair, topping the list is Murph's Sport Shop at 629 Valley Road in Upper Montclair. Practically an institution, the store offers everything a sports enthusiast could possibly want for any kind of sport, everything from soccer to hockey to football gear and equipment. The staff here is notoriously helpful and there is wide
range of sports shoes for sale as well.
- Coming in a close second was Fleet Feet at 603 Bloomfield Avenue. Fleet Feet touts a "fitlosophy" that everyone deserves to wear shoes and clothing that will allow them to be comfortable and injury-free while exercising. The store has been in business for more than 22 years and is spacious and well-stocked.
- In third place was Montclair Soccer at 127 Watchung Avenue. Another store that's been around a long while, Montclair Soccer is the go-to spot for soccer-related sports equipment with brand names such as Nike, Adidas, Puma, KwikGoal, and Kappa.
- In the Belleville/Nutley and Newark area, Mainero’s Sporting Goods in Nutley garnered the most votes while Modell’s Sporting Goods in Newark was also named a reader favorite. For Nick Mainiero, owner of Mainero’s on Franklin Avenue in Nutley, the store’s success over five decades has been all about pleasing shoppers.
- The Modell’s at 141 Market St. in Newark offers the wide variety and strong customer service that for which the well-known sports equipment giant has been known.
- In the area of Millburn, Maplewood, South Orange and West Orange - voters love Kicks N Sticks in Vauxhall. Kicks N Sticks, which specializes in soccer and lacrosse gear (hence the name), has been around since 1987. It's owned by Larry Martelli and Don Santora. Kicks N Sticks is located at 2933 Vauxhall Road in The Millburn Mall; (908) 688-6463. They are open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. (until 8 p.m. on Thursday); Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Other local stores that garnered votes were were High Gear Cyclery and Sneaker Factory in Millburn and Bill's Army Navy in Short Hills.
- In the Caldwells, local shop Leezar Sporting Goods and Apparel was voted a fan favorite. Leezar is located on Bloomfield Avenue in Caldwell and is well-known for supplying team jerseys and uniforms Tennis Shop to local high schools.
- Hapward's Tennis Shop in Bloomfield was the favorite of Bloomfield Patch readers. Located on Weaver Avenue, besides carrying tennis equipment, the staff will help customers with demos to assist them in choosing the right gear.
- Livingston Patch sports fans have had their say and chosen Modell’s Sporting Goods for where they purchase their sporting goods in our Readers’ Choice poll. Conveniently located in the Livingston mall, the chain is the nation’s oldest retailer of sporting goods, sporting apparel and brand-name athletic footwear selling men’s and woman’s workout gear and sporting items for sports and activities including fishing, tennis, football, basketball, running, baseball and more. In addition, Modell’s also sells backpacking, field hockey, basketball, soccer, golf, boxing bowling, racquetball and squash, as well as personal training equipment and even does repairs.Modell’s is located at 349 E. Northfield Road and may be reached at 973-994-3411.
Stay tuned for next week's Readers Choice when we will ask you to weigh in on a New Jersey staple - your favorite bagel.