Police, Red Cross Offer Tips for a Safe Halloween
How to keep safe while trick-or-treating in Millburn-Short Hills.
Millburn kids will be taking to the streets Sunday night to trick-or-treat as part of the annual Halloween tradition.
Millburn police are reminding motorists to stay alert for trick-or-treaters and not speed or drive distracted. They also said families should considering wearing reflectorized material while carrying glow sticks and flashlights so children and their families are viaible to drivers.
The Millburn-Short Hills Chapter of the American Red Cross also offers the following safety tips for trick-or-treaters:
- Map out the route that you plan to roam, so adults are assured you will find your way home.
- From the bravest of superheroes to the noblest of knights, everyone should remember to bring their flashlights.
- If you visit a house where a stranger resides, accept treats at the door and don't go inside.
- When you get ready to put on your disguise, use face paint instead of masks that will cover your eyes.
- Always remember before you leave to wear light-colored clothing to be seen in the dark. (And remember to use reflective tape, even on bikes, skateboards and brooms)
- Whether you walk, slither or sneak, do it on the sidewalks and not in the street.
- As you roam through the neighborhood collecting your treats, please look both ways before crossing the street (and cross from the corner).
- Wigs, capes and costumes are flammable attire, so avoid open flames to prevent a fire.
- Use a glow stick instead of a candle so your jack-o-lantern isn't a safety gamble.
- You may fly on a broom or a space ship from Mars, but please be on the lookout for drivers in cars (and don't hide between parked vehicles).
- Monsters and zombies should stay off the lawn and only visit homes with their porch lights turned on.
- You may be dressed as a werewolf, a cat or a frog, but be cautious around strange animals, especially dogs.
- Have a grown-up inspect your candy when you're done trick-or-treating to remove open packages and choking hazards before eating.