Invite a friend
Environmental Eagles - 1st– 12th graders
Environmental Classes for youth that appreciate learning about the outdoors and their surrounding resources. Learn about the Arboretum's animals and do projects that allow for outdoor educational learning.
9:15– 10:30 Starting Sat., September 15th, 2012
This is a drop in program. Participants can attend any or all of the Saturdays. Official environmental eagle t-shirts, badges and pins can be earned! Donation suggested $2/class
|Where||Cora Hartshorn Arboretum 324 Forest Dr S, Short Hills, NJ 07078|
|Time||9:15 am–10:30 pm|
|Who to bring||Kids, Teens|
More About Cora Hartshorn Arboretum
Founded in 1923 by Cora Hartshorn, whose father developed Short Hills, the arboretum includes both a garden and untouched woodlands in its 16-acre tract. When Hartshorn died, she willed the arboretum to the town for all to enjoy. There are trails in the woods behind the stone barn, which anyone can use. The arboretum staff just asks visitors to close the gate behind them when they use the trails.
The stone barn is a historic structure from Hartshorn's days and was renovated in 2007, which included an addition. Programming for children and adults takes place in the barn, which features a kitchen classroom and an area dedicated to animals. The animals include assorted reptiles and a chinchilla, which is popular with children.
Programming takes place during the day for preschoolers and after school for older children. Teenagers also serve as volunteers and mentors to younger children. There is a variety of adult programming as well, including trips and hikes.
In addition to the trails and indoor programming, the arboretum has a bird watching area with assorted bird feeders. The birds are also captured on a Web cam, which people can watch on the organization's Web site.
Other events here
- Outdoor Adventure Classes Starting Weekly on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, 9:00 am–12:00 pm
- Rain Barrel Workshop Mon, Jun 3, 10:00 am–11:30 am
- Free Yoga Classes at the Cora Hartshorn Arboretum June 3, 2013 / June 10, 2013 / June 17, 2013 / June 24, 2013, 6:30 pm–7:30 pm
- Nature Discover Camp at Cora Hartshorn Arboretum Daily, 9:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Everything Old is New Again: Perennial Native Plants for Garden, Field and Forest January 28, 2013 / March 18, 2013 / September 23, 2013, 10:00 am–11:30 am