This year, due to the timing of Emancipation Day, a local Washington D.C. holiday, Americans get a three-day reprieve on their income tax filings. So why not take advantage of this (very) brief tax break and, rather than pour over tax forms and bang on a calculator all weekend, take your family out instead. You can attend , maybe or enjoy a music concert or , drive over or take a field trip outdoors for .
Big highlights to keep in mind this weekend include a celebrity book signing on Friday as Gwyneth Paltrow autographs copies of her new cookbook at Williams-Sonoma in Short Hills; the Seton Hall University Theater Council stages their production of ; Maplewood's takes place for the little ones this Saturday in Memorial Park; and well-known locals and even more well-known jazz greats on Saturday night.
Remember, you can always get your taxes in on Monday, when it is officially due by. In fact, we hear that the 33rd Street Main Post Office in New York City is quite lovely on late Monday nights!
Here's your full weekend rundown:
- : SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) from Millburn High School will be giving a presentation on the dangers of texting, drinking, and talking while driving, at the DCH Millburn Audi. Millburn Short Hills Red Cross will also do a presentation on first aid and safety. SADD will also have a small gift auction/raffle. All are welcome. Free, Friday, 4–6p.m., Maplewood
- begins at 10 a.m. Saturday at Taylor Park, Millburn, and begins promptly. If you're late you might miss it. This popular event is sponsored by the American Legion Post 140, the Fire Department, the Police Department, the Chamber of Commerce and the Recreation Department. Children pre-school through second grade are invited to participate. Prizes will be awarded to the children who find the “special” eggs. The hunt will be held rain, shine or snow and outdoors if at all possible – please dress appropriately and bring your own basket or container to hold your eggs. Free, Saturday, 10 a.m., Millburn
- Cooking Demonstration and Technique Classes at Williams-Sonoma: This weekend at Williams-Sonoma, you're invited to a special book signing and cooking demonstration on Saturday with Erin McKenna, who will be signing copies of her new cookbook, BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles, plus, on Sunday, an Eggs: Sweet & Savory Technique Class, where a Williams-Sonoma culinary expert will teach you some of their sweet and savory favorites as they celebrate the egg! The Sunday class size is limited, so call to reserve your space and for information on class times and further details. Free, Saturday / Sunday, Times Vary, Short Hills
- Curtains at The Paper Mill Playhouse: Begins April 27
- Spring into Maplewood: April 30
- Studio B Story Slam: April 30
- Cora Hartshorn Arboretum 2nd Annual Ar-B-Que: April 30
- South Orange River Day: May 1
- The Strollers, Round and Round The Garden: Begins May 13
- Millburn Classic Car Show: May 15
- Springfield Avenue MayFest 2011: May 15
- SOPAC 2011 Spring Gala featuring The Midtown Men: June 04
- Maplewood/South Orange Artists Open Studios for Tour: June 05
- 5th annual Celebrate South Orange: June 11
Donald Pun lives in Maplewood and posts the event round-up column for our area here each weekend. Previously, he was a regular contributor for the NY Times' Maplewood, South Orange, and Millburn Local blog section.