opened a nearby tap room, right down the street from South Orange and Maplewood. "Corner Table" offers some 20 beers on tap, including a gluten-free option, a dozen wines, and a menu that includes smaller options, classic sandwiches, and a kids' menu.
The Corner Table, which opened Thursday, takes the space that was previously Osteria, now painted green and decorated with photos of beer makers, including the Brooklyn Lager folks and the Yards Brawler brewers. Local beers are prominent on the menu and the restaurant offers daily happy hour (4 p.m. until 7 p.m.) specials on food and drink.
The menu is likewise pub grub-oriented, with fish and chips, burgers served with house-made potato chips, a cheese plate and daily pickle jar. Patrons order at a counter in traditional British pub style, pay, and the food is brought to the table. In the meantime, hungry diners can nibble on complimentary popcorn. The Kids' menu has choices that range from pizza to hummus, with the most expensive at $6. The adult menu ranges from $5 hot dogs to $14 fish and chips.
"I wasn't planning to eat," said Kathy Carson, munching on a Beer Hall Soft Pretzel with her son. "But I was hungry and I thought the place looked welcoming. I like it so far." Her son sampled lemonade and a pulled-pork sandwich.
Three flat-screen televisions hang on the walls, all ready for coming events. The Corner Table will host Olympic gatherings in the coming weeks, with more events to follow:
- 2012 Summer Olympics—Not just any viewing party, the Corner Table will be holding a number of fun, family-friendly games focusing on Olympic trivia. Winners can expect to receive medals, just like the real Olympians.
- Team Trivia Nights—Winning teams will be put to the test and handsomely rewarded with a Corner Table gift certificate.
- Meet the Brewer—Customers will have the opportunity to sample local beers and meet their favorite brewers from around the area
- Educational Activities—From flower arranging and children’s book swaps, to wine &cheese pairing classes, there will be a variety of activities for everyone in the family.
- Live Music—Hang out for the live Jazz music on Friday nights.