Let's face it the weather this week has been downright brutal and it's not showing any signs of letting up.
The National Weather Service expects the heat wave to continue through the weekend with a high of 98 degrees projected for today. A heat advsiory has been issued in Essex County from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. meaning that residents should take precautions to prevent heat stroke, as well as check on elderly family members and neighbors.
Here are five tips you need to know on how to stay cool...
1. Take A Dip In The Pool: The is open this weekend from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Family memberships may be purchased for $260.
2. Head To A Cooling Center: While normally reserved for ice skating and hockey, the in West Orange will serve as a free public cooling center for Essex County residents, who need to beat the heat. The center will be open today and tomorrow from 6 a.m. until 8 p.m.
3. Stay In Touch: It is very important to report a power outage as soon as it happens. The quicker you call, the quicker the power companies can respond and can get to work restoring your electricity as quickly as possibly. PSE&G customers should call 1-800-436-7734. Those with JCP&L should call 1-800-221-0479.
4. Have a Cold Beverage...and Lots of Them: Be sure to drink lots of water to stay hydrated. Also, this weekend is the perfect time to grab a fruit smoothie at or perhaps one of the new 31 ounce Trenta iced beverages at . Just make sure it's decaf!
5. Think Outside the Box: The is open today from 9:30 a.m. until 5:35 p.m. and on Sunday from 1 to 4:45 p.m. or to surf the web using the library's Wi-Fi Internet access in the comfort of air conditioning.
The is another alternative for those looking to relax in a climate-controlled environment. Take a stroll for a couple of hours around the mall's concourse and grab a bite to eat perhaps. Who knows, you could end up leaving with one of Apple's newest toys?
Last, but not least, there's the movies. What better way to ride out the heat this weekend than by catching a flick at the . The theatre is currently showing Friends With Benefits (rated R), Midnight in Paris (rated PG-13) and of course Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II (rated PG-13 in both 2-D and 3-D). Movie showtimes for today are available here.
What are your plans to beat the heat this weekend?