The Millburn Policemen’s Benevolent Association Local 34 and the Millburn Superior Officer’s Association will once again team up with the United States Marine Corps Reserve to participate in the annual Toys for Tots Program and will have a collection site on Sunday at the annual Snowflake Parade.
The begins at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday at Holmes Street and makes its way downtown and ends at Spring Street. Santa will be on hand for pictures afterward in the downtown courtyard.
Parade watchers are encouraged to bring a new, unwrapped toy to the parade to help kick off the Toys for Tots campaign and help brighten the holidays for needy children in the area.
Millburn police have been taking part in the Toys For Tots program, which started in Los Angeles in 1942, for many years.
Millburn Police Spokesman Lt. Peter Eakely said the mission of the program "is to collect new, unwrapped toys each year, and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community where the campaign is conducted."
As of 2010, the Toys for Tots Program and Foundation had collected and distributed almost five hundred million toys nationwide.
Millburn Police officers will monitor collection points throughout the community. The public can drop off unwrapped new children gifts at the following locations between Nov. 30 and Dec. 21:
- – 462 Millburn Avenue, Millburn
- – 25 Old Short Hills Road , Short Hills
- – 325 Taylor Road South, Short Hills
- – 400 Hartshorn Drive, Short Hills
- School – 52 Great Hills Road, Short Hills
- – 26 Troy Lane, Short Hills
- – 55 Myrtle Avenue , Millburn
- – 2 Southern Slope Drive, Millburn
- Elementary School – 50 Country Day Drive, Short Hills
- Bistro and Bar – 40 Main Street, Millburn
- (The Mall at Short Hills) – 1200 Rte 124
- (The Mall at Short Hills) – 1200 Rte. 124
- – 375 Millburn Avenue, Millburn,
- – 435 Essex Street, Millburn,
In case of rain, the Snowflake Parade and the toy collection there will occur at on Sunday, Dec. 11, at 2 p.m.
There will also be a collection at the Millburn Middle School's T.G.I.F. event on Dec. 9 at 8 p.m.
This year’s program is being administered by Detective Andrew DelRusso. For further information, please contact Detective DelRusso at (973) 564-7019 or the Millburn Police Department at (973) 564-7001.