Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Poets gather at the mall and St. Stephen's holds a pancake dinner for Shrove Tuesday.
1. Tuesday is the deadline for those who want to run for the Millburn Board of Education to file their nominating petitions. The forms are due by 4 p.m. at the Education Center. The school election is April 27. 2. Mardis Gras, Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday. No matter what you call it, it's the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. St. Stephen's Episcopal Church is holding a pancake supper in honor of the day at 5-7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the door for $5 for adults, $3 for kids ages 4-12 and $15 for a family of four. 3. The South Mountain Poets hold their first of two meetings this month at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the Millburn Public Library. For more information on the group and how to join, check its website. 4. There's story time …
Monday, March 7, 2011
The zoning board of adjustment and environmental commission meet.
1. M-SPEC, PTO Parent Education Committee and M-MAC sponsor a talk on bullying awareness and prevention on Monday at 7:30 p.m. at the Education Center. Stuart Green, founder and director of the NJ Coalition for Bullying Awareness and Prevention, will speak. Pre-registration is not required but would be helpful. Email email@example.com. 2. Tuesday is the deadline for people interested in running for the school board to submit their candidate petitions. Candidate packets are available at the Education Center. They include a petition that needs signatures, and it needs to be submitted before 4 p.m. on Tuesday at the Education Center. The kits are available 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. The school election is April 27. 3. The …
Saturday, March 5, 2011
The Metropolitan Orchestra performs on Sunday.
1. The Paper Mill Playhouse hosts its annual winter wine tasting event on Saturday at 6:30-9:30 p.m. There will be over 50 wines there for the tasting in the event that raises money for the theater and its programming. Tickets are $50 each. 2. Jane Seymour will again appear at the Wentworth Gallery at the Mall at Short Hills on Saturday at 4-7 p.m. She'll be displaying her wide-ranging collection of art. 3. The Metropolitan Orchestra presents its winter concert "Family Favorites" on Sunday at 3 p.m. at the Community Congregational Church. The concert features former Mayor Tom McDermott narrating "Peter and the Wolf." 4. The Dharmachakra Buddhist Center hosts "Journey to the Subtle Mind" on Saturday at 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The event is $40 …
Friday, March 4, 2011
Jane Seymour will be at the Wentworth Gallery. Tai Chi classes are available for seniors.
1. Tuesday is the deadline for people interested in running for the school board to submit their candidate petitions. Candidate packets are available at the Education Center. They include a petition that needs signatures, and it needs to be submitted before 4 p.m. on Tuesday at the Education Center. The kits are available 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. The school election is April 27. 2. Actress Jane Seymour will be appearing at Wentworth Gallery in the Mall at Short Hills on Friday and Saturday to display some of her art. She'll be appearing at 7-9 p.m. on Friday and 4-7 p.m. on Saturday. 3. Did you miss the school board meeting Monday night? You can watch it on Hometowne Television at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday. The video also will …
Thursday, March 3, 2011
The girls basketball team takes on Cranford in the second round of the state playoffs and more.
1. Millburn Middle School will play host to the Empty Bowls fund-raiser on Thursday at 5:30-7 p.m. The event was rescheduled from February because of snow. Tickets are $15, and everyone in attendance will receive a handmade ceramic bowl crafted by the peer leaders and a soup dinner. Proceeds will be donated to Down the Block, The Community Foodbank of New Jersey and The Nepal Program for Progress. 2. The girls basketball team is in the second round of the state tournament on Thursday at 7 p.m. on the road against Cranford. 3. The Historic Preservation Commission is scheduled to meet at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday in town hall. The commission has two applications in the Wyoming Historic District for review. 4. The integrated preschool PTO is …
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
The planning board meets, the preschool lottery is Wednesday, Read Across America will be celebrated in the schools and HSPA testing continues at the high school.
1. New Jersey American Water is holding a ground breaking ceremony on Wednesday for the $72 million project to upgrade and replace the Canoe Brook Water Treatment Plant. The plant serves Millburn-Short Hills, Livingston, Maplewood, Springfield, Summit and West Orange. 2. The Millburn Planning Board meets Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at town hall. 3. The Millburn School District will hold its integrated preschool lottery for those who filed an application by Tuesday's deadline. The lottery is at 11 a.m. at the Education Center, but applicants do not need to be present. 4. Wednesday is Read Across America, which is held each year on Dr. Seuss' birthday. Millburn-Short Hills schools will be celebrating the day in a variety of events that focus on …
Tuesday, March 1, 2011
The township committee meets Tuesday, the boys and girls basketball teams are in action Tuesday in the state tournament and HSPA testing is at MHS.
1. Tuesday is the deadline for 3 year old entries in the integrated preschool lottery. The actual lottery is scheduled for Wednesday. For more information, click here. 2. The Millburn Township Committee meets at 8 p.m. at town hall on Tuesday. 3. The state tournament for basketball kicks off on Tuesday. The girls are at home against Nutley at 6 p.m. The boys hit the road to take on Somerville at 7 p.m. 4. Millburn High School plays host to a sold out showing of "The Race to Nowhere" on Tuesday at 7:15 p.m. A panel discussion follows the film. 5. Wednesday marks HSPA testing for juniors at Millburn High School. For those not being tested, buses run about three hours later than normal and classes start at about 10:30 a.m.
Monday, February 28, 2011
The zoning board meets, the preschool program's lottery deadline is Tuesday and the county clerk is at the library.
1. The Millburn Board of Education meets Monday at 7:45 p.m. at the Education Center. Budget discussions are on the agenda. 2. The Millburn Zoning Board of Adjustment meets Monday at 7 p.m. at Millburn Town Hall. 3. The deadline for the integrated preschool lottery quickly approaches. Applications for the regular education 3-year-old students are due on Tuesday. For more information, click here. 4. The Millburn Recreation Department is accepting online registrations for spring programs, which include boys/girls t-ball leagues for first graders, boys baseball league for second and third graders, girls softball leagues for second through eighth graders and boys and girls track and field for fourth through eighth graders. The deadline is …
Saturday, February 26, 2011
Millburn wrestlers and fencers are in action this weekend, and Anne Hathaway hosts the Oscars on Sunday.
1. The Kids Rock for Vision fund-raiser will benefit New Eyes for the Needy on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at St. John's Lutheran Church on Springfield Avenue in Summit. It's the third year for the event, which has raised $15,000. Click here for coverage of last year's event. 2. Actress Anne Hathaway grew up in Millburn, attended the Paper Mill Playhouse's theater school and summer conservatory and graduated from Millburn High School. And on Sunday she will co-host the Academy Awards. You can watch at 8 p.m. on ABC. 3. On the sports calendar, the wrestling team continues the regional tournament on Saturday at 10 a.m. at Union High School. The boys and girls fencing teams are at North Hunterdon High School this weekend for squad championships. …
Friday, February 25, 2011
The tournament starts Friday night at Union High School.
1. The Millburn wrestling team has players in action at the regional tournament this weekend. The early rounds start Friday at 6 p.m., and the tournament continues on Saturday at 10 a.m. The tournament is at Union High School. 2. The Millburn Health Department has File of Life cards and magnetic holders available at town hall. The card contains medical history, allergies and any medications being taken and is then placed on a refrigerator. It helps emergency personnel better respond to a life threatening situation. 3. The Millburn Recreation Department is accepting online registrations for spring programs, which include boys/girls t-ball leagues for first graders, boys baseball league for second and third graders, girls softball leagues …